Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Roxy Music- Avalon


This is Roxy Music's last album at the height of their success. Although it lacks the substance, vibrant colors and lyrical brilliance of the previous albums, it is consistent in  many other fields. It also reeks of sex and suave. I'm more than certain I would've been conceived to this album (as many 80's kids would've been.
The production values are enormous with the open spacious sounds and drifting melancholia, this album (like all Roxy albums) is ahead of its time, stylistically and production wise. It is very much a timeless album.
"Take a chance with me" is one the best Roxy Music songs ever, it contains one the best guitar introductions to any song I've ever heard, the rest of the song just soars and descends and its almost like a living breathing thing. "More than this" opens the album, giving you a good indication of what this album is about. "While my heart is still beating" is probably the stand out song of the album, saxophone never has been so erotic, neither has Bryan Ferry's suave croon.
All in all this album is a fantastic last entry to one the best bands that ever existed, period. I believe it is perfect, my only qualm with it is it should really go on forever instead of 40-50 minutes. Forever. Actually I'll just make the CD player loop the album instead. Oh Bryan Ferry, I wish I was you.

P.S If you cant like this album, it is obvious you have no soul.

Lots of love. XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment