Sunday, June 5, 2011

Marquis De Sade- Dantzig Twist

I'll no doubt have to beat a french person down with a stale baguette for this vinyl.

Ok, I'll be frank with you. What drew me to this band was their name... I love morbid, perverse and immoral literature... It was later I heard what genre of music these cats specialize in; post punk. Their era? 1980. Their nationality? French... I pretty much had to have this album; Dantzig Twist.
These guys sound a little like Joy Division on a nice, clear, sunny afternoon. Maybe a little bit like Japan with less synthesizer, or Ultravox! (with John Foxx and not Midge Ure). Its a hell lot of fun.
I really enjoy how fresh these guys sound, they sound as if they were recorded yesterday. With only two albums out, its pretty sad how Marquis De Sade didn't catch on.
A majority of the songs on the album are in English with the exception of two.
"Who said why?" is a stand out song, its probably the freshest sounding of the bunch, I'm more than certain if it were released today it would have no problem charting. It would have indy douches spooging their shit.
"Japanese sky" (instrumentally) is brilliant and imaginative IF, you could ignore the absolute shite lyrical content. It contains a nice driving Joy Division-like bass line layered with all kinds of Japanese instruments. "Skin Disease" is really cool as well.
If you are digging the late 70's/early 80's post-punk movement, I suggest you board this train. Even if you just dig The Cure or Joy Division. Board this mother-bitch. Its good to go. I'm pretty sure these cats failed only in the fact they should have happened at least 5 years later than they started. Oh well, enjoy fellow obscure audio molester.

Loves and all that kind of crap. Bisoux, Bisoux.

No comments:

Post a Comment