Friday, February 11, 2011

David Bowie: Pin Ups


I have have just run through David Bowie's infamous Pin Up's; the follow up to Aladdin Sane. I have previously listened to it with the knowledge that its a largely ignored album, either by Bowie hard cores or by Bowie passer by's. It's also been rained shit on by critics of recent times and the critics of the albums first release. The first few times I've run this through I honestly thought nothing of it with the very harsh comments laid upon it fresh in my mind. Let me tell you this Bowie hardcore or Bowie passer by; This is not an album to ignore or hate.
This is essentially a cover album of Bowie's influences through out the music scene of the 60's and early 70's. I now see this album as a collection of lovingly reworked songs; reworked by a man who really digs music. Although it would've seemed illogical to cover any of these songs in 1973, they make perfect sense. Why-fucking-not cover your favorite bands?
My guess is after the break though success of Aladdin Sane the music public were chasing after another Aladdin Sane, but seriously give the cat a chance.
Stand out songs include The Kink's "Where have all the good times gone", Pink Floyd's "See Emily Play", The Easy Beats "Friday on my mind". There is also B-side that's released on a special edition of Pin ups Jaques Brel's "Port of Amsterdam" which is beautifully perfect and minimalist, it most certainly deserves a place on the album.

All in all its a finely crafted album that deserves to be listened to all the way through. Open ya fucken ears.

Lots of love. And happy listening.

Patrick the Pheasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment